Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The interesting about learning, is that the importance of it is never grasped until much later in life. Yesterday, while faced with a difficult task of producing paint buckets out of thin air, I remembered how my father had slowly taught me a majority of my understanding of worksite etiquette. Gazing around I found an empty water jug. With a few cuts it became the perfect paint bucker (with handel included!). I had not relazed until I was cutting the plastic, that I had seen my father doing this many times when we were working with my high school youth group. I watched him in the most depressing situations, trying to make a house just slightly more stable. And as he looked at the slanted house, telling everyone it should be condemed, he went to the owner and gave him another six stable months in the house. Because not everyone can pack up and rebuild. Some people are forced to see the situation and do what they can. Like Glenn's One House at a Time. He doesn't know how to handle case loads, he doesn't have a templete to rebuild a disaster situation, but he does know how to contract; and he can give individuals a little hope and a little extra time with what he has. The tools we gain from life are often not realized until placed within a difficult situation, but in those situations it is the test of that knowledge that seperates us. --- Whitney

Yesterday I was really impressed with how much we were able to accomplish at Tim's house. He came home and was speechless. Our group really just jumped in and went to it in his garage and his yard. I can see the progress that Pearlington has made since December and it is encouraging. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to interact with more residents of Pearlington as the week goes on and hear more of their stories.

As a group, we are a powerful force. Each individual works on a small task to accomplish a larger goal. This is exemplifed by One House At a Time, Alternative Spring Break, Pearlington's community, and the families that we help. I knew that we were helping when I saw Tim's expression of hope and happiness at what we did in one day. ~Byron

No comments: